Sunday, April 15, 2012

Happiest Moments


“A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the present, and the hope and promise of the future.” –Author Unknown



                OK.  I’m going to admit something embarrassing.  I have watched and actually (gasp!) enjoyed watching the lame Newlywed show.  Yes, I know.  Silly.  However, I am a huge game show fan.  However lame the game show happens to be.  One night, I was watching, while my daughter lay sleeping in my arms and the host asked the men the following question:  What would your wife say are her two happiest memories in her life?  Of course, every husband answered very cliché answers and all of them were correct.  They all said that the number one memory was the day their child was born and the number two moment was the day they got married.  For some reason, I’ve thought a lot about this question.  If I wasn’t thinking much about it, these would probably be my answers as well.  I mean, obviously, my daughter is the hands-down the best thing that has ever happened to me and my husband is just behind her.  However, now that I’ve had some time to think about it, I realize this answer is all wrong.  Now, don’t get me wrong, my wedding day is still up at the top of my “happiest moments” list—it was an amazing day and I’m blessed to have married a wonderful man.  However, if all of us moms are honest, is the day our child is born really the best “child” moment?  I was really happy the day Grace was born.  I finally got to meet my baby girl I had so impatiently waited nine very long months to meet.  However, I was also in pain, tired, and disgusting.  Not to mention the fact that Grace was also upset, tired, and pretty gross (however beautiful) herself.  Is that moment really better than the thousand moments since then where the two of us have been happy together and she has willingly shown her love for her mom?  I don’t think so.  So, I’m going to encourage all my fellow moms to think of all the happiest moments with your childrenJ  Here are some of my favorites:

1.       Grace has always been a momma’s baby, but has lately been more loving than ever.  She has gone from referring to me as “momma,” to referring to me as “mommy.”  Her favorite thing lately is to happily shout “Mommy!” with a big smile on her face, run to me as fast as she can, and give me a big hug.  That’s love. J
2.       My baby girl loves books.  While on Spring Break this week, she has become even more interested in them.  About forty-two million times each day (obviously an exaggeration, but there were so many times I can’t remember) she has picked out a book, brought it over, climbed in my lap, and insisted we read.  As a lover of books myself, not much makes me happier than the fact that my daughter loves them as well AND loves reading them with me.  I read, she turns the pages, and she happily points out whatever we are reading about.  Her all-time favorite topic- puppies and kitties.
3.       As all of you know, because of chemo, I had to have a quite the hair cut earlier this year.  I was TERRIFIED of losing my hair.  Sure, part of that had to do with some selfish reasons.  I don’t know any girl that dreams of losing her hair.  However, my biggest fear was how Grace would react.  My beautiful, sweet girl didn’t let me down though.  When I arrived to pick her up after the hair cut of a life time, I nervously called her name.  She acted as nothing had happened.  Smiled happily as she always does and yelled, “Momma!”  I did get a friendly head pat when I picked her up thoughJ 
4.       Another favorite moment has to do with hair loss.  Since I don’t have any, I often wear hats or bandanas.  Grace thinks this is so fun.  She often takes them off and puts them on herself or she wants us both to have one on.  Then we dance around and laugh.
5.       Another love that Grace and I share besides books is music.  Man does my kid love to dance.  She also loves when we dance together and so do I!  When a good song comes on, I pick her up and we dance all over the house, giggling as we go.
6.       Baby girl kisses.  Enough said.
7.       Each night before Grace goes to bed, I hold her in the chair and sing to her.  She cuddles with me.  Many nights she repeatedly says, “Mommy,” just to make sure I’m still here.  She’ll look up at me and smile every once in a while.  When she’s calmed down, I’ll sing her to sleep, always starting with “her” song, “Amazing Grace.”  My singing always relaxes her, and I love feeling her settle in peacefully against me, feeling safe and secure with her mom.
8.       Family time!  I love when all three of us are home and Grace will run back and forth between Josh and me making sure we are both giving her attention.  I especially love when she’s feeling particularly loving, and she’ll run back and forth giving us hugs. 
9.       I bought Grace a Little People house for Christmas, which came with a little family—mom, dad, and baby.  Grace loves babies and this is our little baby to take care of each day.  She’ll sit on the floor, pat beside her, and say, “Mommy!”  That’s my cue to join her so we can play house and take care of our baby. 
10.   This last one will sound weird, so wait for the explanation.  When my daughter is in her crib and cries out in the middle of the night for me, I love the moment I pick her up.  No, I obviously don’t love for Grace to cry, nor do I love for her to wake up in the middle of the night.  However, I love that moment that she knows I’ve come to “save her.”  Grace is a drama queen like her mom so she can REALLY wail.  However, when I pick her up and tell her that “It’s ok because mommy’s here,” she becomes instantly peaceful.  She hugs me like she hasn’t seen me for years and everything is right in the world once again.  I love that I can do that for her.
So, there are ten of my favorites.  If you’re a mom or, heck, a parent—I’d enjoy hearing some of your favorite moments!
Grace shouting, "Mommy!"


1 comment:

  1. Clearly I don't have any of these moments yet, but I love hearing about what I have to look forward to someday! For now, I need to start finding more time to spend with you guys so I can share some of these great moments with my goddaughter :)

    ReplyDelete