Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Hakuna Matata


“You cannot add any time to your life by worrying about it.”  --Matthew 6:27

            One of my favorite memories as a child is singing “Hakuna Matata” with my sister.  Boo and I loved singing Disney songs and this one was our favorites.  We really got into it too.  In fact, the endearing, yet embarrassing performance is on tape at my parents’ house (courtesy of my Uncle Scott and his video camera).  Those of you who are not Lion King fans, the point of the song is to have no worries.  “It’s our problem-free philosophy.  Hakuna Matata.”  Twice in one week I have been confronted by this same message, just not in the musical sense.  Evidently, I should start listening.
            At church this past Sunday, Matthew spoke out in the gospel about the futility of worrying.  I have been reading a book on my Kindle to read the Bible in a year and, oddly enough, this same gospel was my topic for this evening.  In Matthew 6:32-34 it states, “The people who don’t know God keep trying to get these things and your Father in heaven knows you need them.  Seek first God’s kingdom and what God wants.  Then all your other needs will be met as well.  So don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will have its own worries.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.”  Now, I won’t pretend that I have seen a great light and will now never worry again.  Since I am one of the world’s biggest worriers, this would be laughable.  However, I must say that not worrying is something I want to work on.  I have been doing better at it tooJ  I may still worry about the big things, but have learned to let go of some of the small things.  It isn’t worth it to worry myself to death or stay up late because my house isn’t spotless.  I try to spend time worrying about things that truly matter.  And so, I will admit, my daughter has toys all over my living room floor.  I have not washed all the dishes in my sink.  I am quite certain that I have things in my refrigerator that should have already been thrown out.  I did not finish all of my grading before I left school.  I just put my clean laundry away that has been done since Sunday.  You get the ideaJ 
            I did spend quality time snuggling with my daughter tonight.  We also read books, played, and ate dinner together.  My wonderful husband brought me home flowers just because.  I got a massage to relax my hurting legs.  Finally, I’m taking time to write even though I could be doing other things.  However, those other things will wait until tomorrow and I trust that God will help me know when I do need to worry.  He hasn’t let me down yetJ  Hakuna Matata and Good Night!


1 comment:

  1. I like this post - I'm such a worrier, too, and sometimes it's hard to draw a line between what's normal worrying and what's excessive. Thanks for the reminder that I don't need to work on where to draw that line, but I need to work on not worrying at all! :)

    ReplyDelete